Dr. E Bruce Hendrick Ontario Scholarship
The 2021 program is now CLOSED. Applications will be open for 2022 in January.
Ontario Students can apply for the Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Ontario Scholarship for individuals with hydrocephalus and/or spina bifida living in Ontario.
Named in honour of Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick as a tribute to his dedication, on-going support and outstanding service to our members.
The Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Program was established to encourage and support students with hydrocephalus and/or spina to develop independence and responsibility for their own future educational directions; and to assist students to pursue higher education with the ultimate goal of obtaining a degree or graduate certificate or diploma.
The awards are valid at any accredited university or college, technical or trade school, career institute or school of business.
Number and amount of awards will be decided on a yearly basis.
One academic year.
The program is administered by Hydrocephalus Canada.
Open to Canadian citizens with hydrocephalus and/or spina residing in the province of Ontario.
The selection of the award recipient will be made by the Program Advisory Committee. When making its decision, this committee will take into account the applicant’s motivation, self-awareness, and goal setting, as well as potential for success.
Notification of awards will be made in June annually
LAST BUSINESS DAY OF APRIL ANNUALLY (Applications received after this time can not be considered).
Obligation of Recipients
Recipients must enter/attend their chosen academic program in the year of application. Requests for deferment will be considered only in unusual circumstances such as illness. Proof of registration must be submitted before the award can be paid out. In the event that the student does not complete the academic program, he/she must submit documentation stating the reasons for his/her inability to complete the proposed course load in order to be considered for future scholarships.
The 2021 Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship applications:
2021 Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Application (fillable PDF)
2021 Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Medical Form(fillable PDF)
Forms may also be obtained by contacting Hydrocephalus Canada by mail, telephone 800-387-1575 or [email protected]
Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Program
16 Four Seasons Place, Suite 111
The completed 2021 application must be returned by mail to the address above, along with the following:
- academic transcripts, including the most recently completed semester. For students still in secondary school, a copy of the second semester mid-term report, or, if the school is not semestered, a copy of the last report issued;
- the medical assessment form (not required if you have previously applied, unless your situation has changed);
- one letter of reference from an adult other than a family member, such as a minister, youth group leader, coach, volunteer supervisor or employer;
- one letter of reference from a teacher, principal, guidance counsellor. If you are already attending a post-secondary institution, one letter must be from one of your professors or instructors.
- letter from you (the applicant) describing why you think you are deserving of this award-this is your opportunity to tell us about yourself; how spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus has affected your education and your life in general; a goal you set for yourself and how you achieved it; and any other information that you feel would be helpful for the Program Advisory Committee to make their decision.